Update: suspect in custody; victim released from hospital after off campus shooting at Ferris State U.
Police have located and arrested the man believed to be responsible for shooting a male Ferris State University student in the early morning hours of Saturday, Feb. 1 in Big Rapids.
The suspect was taken into custody late Saturday evening, Feb. 1 at an apartment in Finch Court on Ferris’ Big Rapids campus. The suspect is being held in the Mecosta County Jail. A female subject also has been taken into custody and is being questioned by the Mecosta County Sheriff’s Department. While the suspect is in custody, the investigation into the shooting will continue.
Charges are expected to be filed against the suspect in the next 24 to 48 hours.
The shooting occurred at approximately 4:15 a.m. on Saturday, Feb. 1 at Venlo Place off campus in Big Rapids. The victim of the shooting was treated and released from the hospital later in the evening.
Ferris State University Department of Public Safety officers have been assisted in the investigation by the Big Rapids Department of Public Safety, the Mecosta County Sheriff's Department and the Michigan State Police Emergency Support Tactical Team.
Classes and activities on the Ferris Big Rapids campus were canceled or suspended Saturday (Feb. 1) as authorities sought the alleged shooter. Story credit: ferris.edu
- FINDING MS. RIGHT Man finds woman with ex's name for free world trip
- RELEASE SCRAPPED: FBI links Sony cyberattack to North Korea
- 'WORST NEGOTIATOR' Decision to normalize relations with Cuba blasted
- One pedestrian killed, 12 injured in Southern California crash - 3 shot, suspect on the loose in Los Angeles
- Sydney siege may have been preventable, Australian PM says